November 10, 2008

Weekend Update

Friday
Gave my board presentation during the day and received glowing reviews for it. The board chair said he was impressed with me and that I spoke eloquently and gave an excellent presentation. They fully approved of my 6-month plan for the college. However, success doesn't come without its challenges. I just found out this morning that they voted ME to manage the process of conducting an internal feasibility study for the college. I've never done one of those before! Luckily, I'll have my boss's support, but still. It's a compliment, but sheesh! That's some deep work they're asking me to do!

After the board meeting, I left work and headed over to Erin's (Geoff's sister) to have a ladies' night. Woot! Originally, the plan was for a bunch of us girls to possibly head out to Hollywood. But, thanks to our grumbling tummies, we instead went to El Torito at Long Beach Towne Center to stuff our faces, throw back some margaritas and watch Brooke hit on the waiter (shut up, you know you did). Sleepiness ultimately set in almost immediately after. So, following a quick impromptu trip to Walmart (where Erin and I bought the same towlie wrap and became towlie twins), we all went back to Erin's, changed into our jammies, and fell asleep one-by-one.

Saturday
I slept in that morning, woke up and ended up chit-chatting with Cassie and Erin until 12 noon-ish, staying in my jammies the entire time -it was great. Erin cooked us breakfast, we ate and talked some more, then Erick (Erin's husband) came home and we decided to continue our ladies-only party elsewhere by shopping at Target (our 2nd home). We stopped to pick up Geoff's/Erin's mom on the way. When we got to Target, Erin and her mom went to look for table decor for their church holiday brunch table, while Cassie and I browsed the Christmas section. Target always has cute stuff for Christmas, but their stuff is especially cute this year. I already have my eye on what I'm going to spend my next payday on.

After Target, we went back to Erin's and (after venting about my sister for a moment) I left to drive out to Irvine to see Geoff. When I got to his place, his brother Sean was there and they were watching some Japanese anime series (a common activity they do together). I, being half-Japanese, am NOT particularly interested in anime, but have been known to watch it every once in a while. This was one of those times. The series turned out to be pretty cute with a good story line. It had a Harry Potter feel to it with a love-hate relationship thrown in. It was called "Familiar of Zero." If you like anime, I recommend this one. Anyhow...ohmigod, I can't believe I just added a whole paragraph about anime!! I'm such a dork...anyhow, after watching too much TV, we went out to get something to eat and then went to Best Buy, where Geoff surprised me and bought me a computer cooking game to keep me busy and happy while I'm on my dreaded and hated Thanksgiving trip in Missouri (aka, Missery). More on that in the coming days...

Sunday
The next morning, Geoff and I went to the Japanese market in Costa Mesa. We originally went just to buy an ear cleaner to replace the one he lost (and was also obsessed with). We ended up shopping around the whole store and picked up some tasty Japanese snacks and drinks.

We got back to Geoff's, sat around and talked with Brad about a cruise to the Mexican Riviera that the three of us have been talking about going on, along with Brad's kind-of girlfriend. Nothing finalized yet, but looks like late November/early December we might be going on a last-minute trip. We'll see. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Later that day, I helped Brad organize his huge DVD collection. He was very happy I alphabetized his movie library. And with the amount of DVDs he has, that was no easy task. After a quick trip to the sporting goods store with Geoff, I finally headed home.

When I got home, I saw it was very windy in Long Beach. I fed Gidget and then took her for a walk, which she didn't like because it was too windy. Once back inside, I headed to my room to install my new computer cooking game Geoff bought me onto my laptop. While it was installing, I checked my Facebook and email and discovered that one of Geoff's friends (who I've also known since middle school) got married the day before, on Saturday. No one really had any idea (at least Geoff and I didn't). I was shocked and slightly taken aback. If you knew this person and their story, you would be too. I mean, I'm happy for this person, but this impromptu marriage feels a little irrational to me. Maybe I'm too logical of a person. Oh well. Everyone's different, I guess.

After delivering the news to Geoff about his friend and talking about it with him for a little bit, I caught-up on my episodes of "The Office" and "Entourage," and then headed to bed. Like, two minutes later, I fell asleep. One big busy weekend. Zzzzz...

No comments: