
I found this in a box today while cleaning out my storage unit not too long ago that had my stuff from when I moved back home from San Francisco. I had been looking for it for a while now. This is the very first gift Geoff ever gave me. I was about 14 years old and he was 15 years old. It’s a little lamb that he “won” at Knott’s Berry Farm. We were there with a group of our friends from high school. I say “won” because he didn’t actually play a game to get this. It was one of those things where there’s a guy standing by a big scale, and he either tries to guess your age or your weight. If he guesses right, you get nothing and if he guesses wrong, you get a prize. Know what I’m talking about? Anyway, Geoff asked the guy to guess his weight. The guy guessed 180 lbs…..Geoff was only 135 lbs. So Geoff got to pick a prize. I think the girl he was interested in, or kind of dating at the time was being a total ass to him that night, so he didn’t ask her if there was something she wanted. Instead, Geoff asked me. I looked at all the things they had and this cute little lamb caught my eye. I pointed it out, he told the guy that’s what I wanted, and then he gave it to me. This happened about 14 years ago. I’ve kept this little lamb all this time. I always had it placed either on my bookshelf or my dresser. Even when Geoff and I lost touch for 7 years, I still kept it. In my house in San Francisco, I had it on my dresser. Funny thing is, during the time I lost touch with Geoff, I must’ve had at least 5 garage sales during those 7 years. For at least 2 of those garage sales, I would look at the lamb and wonder if I should give it away. Both occasions, I would pick it up, look at it, and decide not to. It didn’t feel right.
What’s sweet is that there’s not many detailed things Geoff remembers about high school (other than the music he played in band and being on the track team). However, when I mentioned this lamb and showed it to him, he recalled exactly what happened. When I asked how he remembered that, but not many other things from high school, he said, “Because. You were my best friend. I didn’t care about anyone else.”
Geoff has been my best friend for 15 years now, from the first day of band camp the summer before my freshman year, up to this very day. Even when we lost touch for 7-8 years, Geoff says he thought of me an awful lot during that time and I was still in his heart. During our friendship, we never even talked about dating. It was just something that we never thought of. When we did begin dating, it wasn’t an easy step to take. However, today, we’re happy we made that decision. I feel lucky that, when we get married and have children, I’ll have fun stories to tell them about me and Geoff, from high school to present day.
Already we have a fun intro to how we met. Geoff likes to tell it. He starts off by saying, “This one time, at band camp…”
Sometime soon, I’ll post a story about how we came to find each other again after 7 years. It’s very sweet. We call it our Classmates.com commercial. Stay tuned…
No comments:
Post a Comment