Saturday
I had quite the busy week with my mom visiting, meetings everyday at work and a mid-year planning staff retreat on Friday. I was beat! I slept-in as much as I could this day. Around 12 noon, I got up and went over to Erin's apartment to meet her and Geoff's cousin, Cassie, there. Cassie had lost her job earlier in the week and I told her that I would help her clean-up her resume and help her write a cover letter, since she's never done one (and I'm excellent at resumes and cover letters!). Also, there is a job opening at the college I work at for a Financial Aid Coordinator that I showed to Cassie and she was very interested in applying. Given that she would probably mention my name when submitting her application, I didn't want her submitting a sloppy resume. So, that was yet another reason I wanted to help her have the sharpest resume possible.
When she showed me her original resume, I knew we had some work to do. Her original resume was only 3/4 of a page and, Cassie's a bright girl, but even she admitted that her language and grammar skills were not up to par. However, after we sat together for a few hours, I helped her turn her 3/4 page resume into a 2-page resume! We re-wrote her work experience, highlighting skills she had that were similar to what the position at the college was looking for. I also had her add in some volunteer work and references and presto! It looked like a resume of an accomplished person. She was amazed and really happy that I was able to help, which made me really happy.
After we finished her resume, we sat around with Erin and talked for a little while. Then, I headed over to Geoff's to spend the rest of the weekend with him. I hadn't seen him all week and was looking forward to just sitting back and relaxing with him.
Sunday
We got up early and had breakfast at Champagne French Bakery in Irvine. Afterwards, we headed over to Downey so that Geoff could play golf with his dad and I could meet with Cassie again to help her with her cover letter.
After golf and my little cover letter "workshop" were over, Geoff and I talked with his mom, dad and brother for a little bit and then decided to stop at Disneyland on the way back home to Irvine to watch the fireworks show. When we got there, we met up with Erin and Erick. I noticed it was really windy and I said that I hoped they wouldn't cancel the fireworks because of all the wind......well they did. We waited an hour and a half just to be told it was too windy for fireworks. Bummer. We wanted to have something in exchange for our patient waiting, so we stood in line to buy a pineapple whip from the Dole stand over by the Tiki Room. Since our evening was shot, we all decided to call it a night and go home. We had more fun talking on the tram ride back to the parking lot than we did in the actual park!
Monday
Since it's a holiday (Happy MLK, Jr. Day!), I didn't have to work. Yippie!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment