February 23, 2009

Weekend Update

I know. I haven't been blogging as much lately. I'm just so busy with work. My newest dilemma? Our Board won't approve to move forward with our $68 million capital campaign for a new science center unless we have at least $40 million of it "secured" from donors by the end of May. SAY WHAT?!! Yeah, in fundraising, that's unheard of. So, in the course of two months, me, my boss and a colleague need to dig deep...really deep...to find some potential major donors. Talk about pressure! On the other hand, this is kind of why I love doing this type of work -the never-ending challenge of it. We'll see what happens. Anyhow, despite mind-boggling work issues, I had quite an eventful weekend...

Saturday
Geoff is feeling much better, so he and I went for a hike in the Mt. Wilson area, at Switzer Falls. Since it's labeled as an easy hike, we brought my dog too. When we got there and parked the car, we could already see how pretty it was. A few feet from the car, we could see a bunch of large rocks and a small river that runs alongside the trail. Right before the trail, there are a bunch of picnic benches and BBQ grills set between the tress and on the river bank. Geoff and I made plans to bring a picnic next time and maybe do a little grilling.

We started out on our hike, which was relatively easy. The only thing is that there are several areas where it looks like the trail ends and is cut off by the river. Turns out, you need to either walk in the water for a little bit (ankle-deep) or jump from rock to rock with excellent balance. We did a little bit of both. A word to the wise though: if you bring your dog and your dog is not too fond of water, this will be difficult. Poor Gidget was clinging for dear life to the rocks so that she could avoid having to be in the water. On the way back though, she got the hang of it and would get excited, jump up and down and start happily digging once she got across, as if she was celebrating her accomplishment.

We got about 3/4 of the way on the hike before we had to stop and head back for a couple reasons. One, there was a large part of the river we would have to cross that had a lot of rocks and deeper water and my dog just plain refused to even attempt crossing it; and two, Geoff got a deep cut on his finger and it was bleeding pretty bad.

All in all though, it was a really nice hike and I'm looking forward to going back in a few weeks to finish it. Here are some pics and a little video of my dog's bravery:







Sunday
Geoff's parents bought tickets for the Northern Trust Open golf tournament that was taking place at the Riviera Country Club, in the Brentwood area. Even though Geoff told his dad that I wouldn't be able to go (truth: I didn't want to go), he bought me a ticket anyway. I was irritated at first, but decided to go so his parents wouldn't be wasting a ticket. They felt bad and said it was their fault and I wasn't obligated to go. I was a good sport and went anyway. I knew Geoff wanted me to be there and it's only fair, since I drag him to things he doesn't particularly enjoy.

The one and only reason Geoff wanted to go was to see his favorite golfer, Phil Mickelson. He idolizes him and thinks they have a lot in common. For example, Phil does everything right-handed, except play golf, which he does left-handed. It's what he's famous for. Geoff does the same thing. He's right-handed, but plays left. Also, Phil's wife's name is Amy and Geoff's (hopefully) future wife's name is Amy. Anyway, you get the point. Phil is the 2nd best golfer in the world, just behind Tiger Woods. This would be the first time Geoff would see him in person.

I don't really follow golf, so I couldn't really tell you much about that day. I recognized some players' names, but that's about it. I watched the 3rd and 10th tees and the 18th hole. So what did I learn that day? If you're gonna go to a golf tournament, go towards the end and only watch the 18th hole. That was the most, if not only, exciting part of the 7 hours I was there. Oh! Another exciting thing is that Geoff and I were on TV. We were in the background while Phil putted the 18th. Here's a picture:


You can't really see us in the pic, but you could see us clearly in the TV footage. The yellow circle is where we were at. Right smack behind the pin. If you look closely, you can see Geoff's white shirt.

Phil won, by the way. I've never heard Geoff cheer so loudly.

No comments: