The last seven days has had me on quite an emotional roller coaster. Allow me to take you for a ride on the highs and lows...
Sun., June 14
High: Went to the flea market with my sister, where we found some great stuff (more on that on another post) and had some quality bonding time -something we don't get to do that often, despite living only 2 miles apart.
Higher: Went to my friend's bridal shower, where I reunited with old friends I hadn't seen in a while.
Highest: Geoff won the golf tournament he was in!
Low...very low: Geoff's best friend Brad called to tell us that his mom had passed away earlier that day. Geoff has known Brad since they were 8 years old, I've known him since I was 13. We all went to high school together and both Geoff and I knew and loved Brad's mom. To Geoff, she was like a second mom and the news hit him quite hard.
Mon., June 15
Low: Geoff was rather distraught from the passing of Brad's mom, so I stayed with him on Monday night.
Lower: My cough has been very difficult to shake and was so bad that night that it caused me to gag and throw-up (sorry for the graphic info).
Tues., June 16
High: Had a solid meeting at work.
Higher: My office has a softball team and we won the game against the Student Life department! At the beginning of the game, my boss told the other team, "We're just here to win. I'm not sure what you guys are here for." Ha ha!
Wed., June 17
Low: Drove back up to Irvine so that Geoff and I could drive together to Brad's mom's funeral the next morning.
High-ish: Spent nearly 6 hours cooking food for Brad and his dad to eat over the next few days. Made homemade chili for the first time (it was so good!), honey cornbread, mashed potatoes, chili-cranberry meatballs, and chocolate chip cookies.
Thurs., June 18
Low: Went to Brad's mom's funeral at Rose Hills. Service was short and sweet, what she would've wanted.
High: Brad and his dad were really happy that I made food for them. No one else did, which surprised me. They thought they would be stuck eating the leftover sandwiches from the reception after the funeral service.
Higher: After everyone left the reception at Brad's dad's house, Geoff, Brad and I sat around, just the three of us, and spent the rest of the afternoon/early evening just talking. At one point, Brad sat back and said he felt relaxed.
Fri., June 19
High: There was hardly anyone in the office, so I did a little work and took an early day.
Higher: Met with my friends, Janis and Trista, to have lunch at Felix's Continental Cafe in Orange. They have the best Cuban food!
Highest: Came home and took it easy for the rest of the evening. Took a short nap, read my book, watched a movie, and kept things relaxed and quiet.
Sat., June 20
High: It rained the whole morning and stayed nice and cloudy throughout the day.
High: Went with Geoff to look at a car he wants to buy. Test drove a Mazda 6 and we think it's a winner! The people at the dealership were really nice. They even had a guy making free carne asada soft shell tacos outside. My favorite!
High, or Low??: Went with Geoff to a drum & bugle corps show in Walnut. Geoff used to play in a corps called Pacific Crest. The show was mostly boring until the last three groups, which were fun to watch.
Low: I left my dog alone in the house for over 12 hours. I felt really bad.
Sun., June 21
High...Really High: Remember this post about my paternal grandmother who kept flaking on meeting me and my sister? Well, today, on Father's Day, I finally met her. She and her husband flew out here and we all had dinner together. After dreading this moment all month and spending the day trying to calm my sister down, our first time ever meeting our grandmother actually turned out to be pretty good. More than good, really. It was great and I'm happy that she's here visiting. She's an upbeat woman and her husband is warm and friendly. I instantly liked them both. I plan on taking half days at work for the next two days while they're here visiting. I'll be sure to do a post about their visit. This was a very memorable Father's Day.
Up, down, down, up, down, up, up...you see what I mean about emotional roller coaster. However, I'm glad that it has come to a full and complete stop on a high note.



1 comment:
wow... it has been a roller coaster for you and for Geoff.. We wish you guys the best right now. Tell Brad I am thinking of him and his family right now too. I can't believe that! Crazy! Sorry for his lost and Geoff's too I know how close they are.
Post a Comment