May 12, 2009

Staying Neutral

When my sister moved out of my house, she unfortunately left a mess for me to clean up in her old room. In addition to the mess, I also have to contend with another problem she left behind, which is the color she painted it -an obnoxious, streaky red color. It's really quite hideous. You walk into the room and it's almost offensive. I hate it. What I hate even more is that, before she painted it red, she painted it pink. It was like she was living in a bottle of Pepto Bismo. When she painted it red, she didn't bother painting the ceiling or a built-in shelf area, so that stayed pink. Red walls with a pink ceiling. It's painful. To make it worse, she didn't even put on a second coat of paint to the walls, so it's all streaked and looks messy. I don't know what the hell she was thinking.

My goal in the next few weeks is to completely redecorate this room and transform it into a simple, relaxing, refreshing guest room. The first step in my progress is picking out a color to paint the room with. Since I'm going for a calming theme, I picked a couple neutral colors I like. These are the two I'm trying to decide between (both samples are by Behr Paint):

This one is called Chocolate Froth. It's a nice light beige-ish color. Very neutral and bright.

This one is called Wheat Bread. It's a lovely taupe color. Neutral and warm.

These online paint samples don't look like the ones I have. The ones I got have more of a grey undertone to them. I'm kind of leaning towards Wheat Bread. Only because the room gets a ton of light and this color would look amazing in a room full of sunlight.

For furniture, all that will go in this room is a bed, a nightstand with this lamp I love that I found on clearance at Target, and maybe a small armchair that I can find at my next flea market trip.

I can't wait to show you a before and after picture. The difference is going to be startling, I assure you. Hopefully, I'll be able to get this done within the next 4-6 weeks!

No comments: