May 11, 2009

Long Time, No See Blog

A month? That's how long it's been since I've posted something? As much as I hate to blame work, that's what I'm blaming it on. However, since I'm working from home today, I can devote a little time to my poor neglected blog and post some new things. I'll start my first blog update with Mother's Day, which was yesterday...

Since my mom moved to Houston last year, I wasn't able to be with her this Mother's Day (but, I'm flying out there this August for her birthday...shh, it's a surprise). So, I took Geoff's mom for a fun outing to the Rose Bowl flea market in Pasadena. Geoff's cousin came along too. I'll pause here for a moment to vent about something...

I have to say, I was rather disappointed with Geoff and his sister for not doing something special for their mom. Without going into detail, they just weren't being thoughtful and were rather selfish. The reason I'm disappointed and complain is because their mom does a whole lot for them and never expects a thank you. Mother's Day is celebrating and appreciating your mother. Don't think I didn't verbally express my disappointment to both of them. I gave them a mouthful, for sure. His brother at least gave their mom a card and planted flowers for her in the garden.

Ok, venting over. Anyhow, when I found out what their lack of plans were, I asked Geoff's mom if she wanted to go with me to the flea market and peruse all the vintage items they might have there. She was quite excited and said yes. Since Geoff's cousin is into that type of thing, I asked if she wanted to go too. None of us had ever been before. When we got there, it was much bigger than I anticipated. There was a mix of different things, both modern and vintage. We were there for three hours and barely saw 1/4 of everything! We all had a lot of fun looking at all the neat things they had. Of course, I made a few purchases:


I couldn't resist buying this cute little glass perfume bottle in the shape of a Cinderella-style pumpkin coach. It was only $5. The perfume in it smells old and nasty, so I'm dumping it and plan on putting my favorite scent in it. The delicate embroidered handkerchief next to it was for free. The lady at the booth told Geoff's mom that, since it was Mother's Day, she could pick any handkerchief she wanted. I think she saw me admiring them too, because she told me I could pick out one, even though I'm not a mom yet. While I was choosing one, I thought how lady-like handkerchiefs are and made a mental note to start using mine. Geoff's mom selected a pretty white cotton one, with small pink flowers embroidered on one corner.


I bought these teacups for my mom. She loves collecting small teacups. They were $2.50 each. They were both made in Germany, which is perfect because my mom lived in Germany for several years and loved her memories there. The teacup on the left has a scene of a fox hunt painted on it, with gold flowers painted around the cup and saucer. The teacup on the right has pink chrysanthemums on it. The saucer was missing, unfortunately. The blue and gold flower brooch between them is for me. I like collecting vintage jewelry, especially brooches. Only $5!

As a Mother's Day gift, I bought Geoff's mom a vintage glass sugar bowl and creamer set that had a pretty design of flowers and leaves etched all over it. She was really happy and put it in her china cabinet right when she got home.

All in all, it was a pretty good day. I got a little sunburnt, but didn't mind since I could use some color. The flea market is the second Sunday of every month. I'm pretty sure I'll be going back next month!

1 comment:

Aranne and Dan said...

Sounds like a great day... Shame on Geoff for not doing something more for his mom!!!

Thanks for the post about our adoption and the link on the side.. It really does mean a lot to us and who knows right??? Fingers crossed though!